Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Books I Like


For my first ever Books I Like post, I have to begin with Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo. I first read this book at 20, and I've loved it ever since. It's the perfect blend of great story and cool writing.

When I read this book, I had been reading a lot of Jeffrey Archer and I was thrilled to realize that TCOMC was really like a classic version of an Archer novel. The ending of Monte Cristo had enough twists and turns to keep me satisfied as a reader who loves a good mystery and it also has a romantic element that had the sap in me entirely satisfied.


Jeffrey Archer remains one of my favorite authors today, so imagine my surprise and delight when I picked up one of his most recent releases and flipped it over to read the back. A Prisoner of Birth is about a man, wrongly framed by four supposed friends and then imprisoned, and details his life in prison and then as he takes his revenge after his jail time. Sound familiar? I can't wait to get into this book, but I'm saving it for a nice, long stretch of summer reading pleasure.

I loved Monte Cristo, and as such recommended it for my book club a few years ago. It timed with the release of the new movie perfectly so after we read the book, we all went to the movie together.

Nice eye candy.

They totally slaughtered the story.

I mean, they totally ruined it, in my humble opinion. But such is often the case.

The book is almost always better.

No comments: