Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Books I Like


So I'm really late posting this, but I haven't forgotten. I'm trying to finish the book I'm working on right now, and it has me a little scattered.

One of my favorite books of all time is Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I read this book several years ago for a book club and really, really loved it. It tells the story of Francie Nolan, and girl growing up in Brooklyn with her brother, practical mother and alcoholic father, whom she adores. They live in poverty, but there's such a feeling of hope about the book that it didn't bog me down in spirit the way others have. By the end of the book, I was pulling for this character, and I was so happy with how it all ended.

I do believe that most of the reviews I've seen about this book have been positive. Some like it more than others, of course, and one review I saw recently mentioned some prejudice and stereotyping in the book that I don't remember jumping out at me. It's been some time, though, and it could be I've blocked it out. It makes me cringe a little to think that there may be something objectionable in terms of prejudice that I may have missed. Some books are interesting commentaries on their time/settings and as such the reader will expect it to reflect the attitudes of the day. There are other times, though, that it's too much, to the point that it detracts from the story, and I don't remember feeling that with this book.

One thing is for sure--it made me appreciate a fully-stocked kitchen.

2 comments:

Karlene said...

I loved that book. It's one of my all-time favorites. More than once, I've thought I should nail a can to the closet floor...

Nicole's crazy Blog said...

I love this book!! We read it in my book club a few years ago and it was one I have held on to dearly. I think it is time to re-read it actually...