Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Simple Summer Favorites


I do so love the different seasons. Really. Every time we go into a new season, I think of all the reasons why that one is my favorite. Then, just when I get tired of it, it's time for another one. Well, it's really, really hot right now where I live, but I'm still loving summer. I decided to make a list of ten of my favorite things about it:

1. popsicles
2. the farmer's market and fruit stands
3. our family garden and fresh veggies
4. my sister's pool
5. watching my husband swim in my sister's pool- he's like a fish.
6. green lawns
7. the smell of freshly-mowed green lawns
8. bar-b-ques
9. my little boy wearing only shorts and his tan tummy
10. my big girls and their tan shoulders, looking like I used to

(Ok, so number 10 is a little bittersweet. Give them a few years and a couple pregnancies and then they'll be envious of their own daughters).

But how about you? Do you like summer? What are some of your favorite things?

7 comments:

Josi said...

1--Getting up with the sun before everyone else.
2--Bikerides at sunset
3--Fresh tomatoes!
4--NO HOMEWORK!
5--NO PIANO
6--Backyard BBQs
7--Just a little more time with my family
8--Family vacations
9--Sunsets
10--NO HOMEWORK! (did I say that one already?)

Penny said...

*The smell of Coppertone
*Road trip tunes: Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Simon and Garfunkle, Roy Orbison, Braddah Iz, The Eagles, White Stripes, Bette Midler, Tom Waits, The Stones...
*Rodeos and fairs and parades
*Chilly movie theaters
*Going to the dam
*Trying to re-create the summers of my youth

Karlene said...

No SNOW!

Longer daylight (because I can't drive after dark)

Sandals and painted toenails

Flowers

Grass

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I'm loving these lists. Mine just got longer!

Kirk L. Shaw said...

1. Warm summer knights with a breeze and lightning/thunder brewing on the near horizon, with just a hint of moisture.
2. Lemonade. Strawberry lemonade.
3. The zoo
4. San Diego
5. Canoeing on a lake or down a river
6. Sliced brisket, some pulled pork, and a few good ribs, with a touch of cayenne sauce and plenty of barbecue sauce
7. Wading up to my waist with sand between toes at the beach
8. Sunroof
9. Four-wheeling
10. White Mountains (NH)

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

And that, my friends, is why he's the world's greatest editor. He also writes!

Thank you, Kirk, I'm now hungry. :-)

Kirk L. Shaw said...

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty hungry myself.