Friday, August 14, 2009

A Writer's Must-Have


So this book has been around forever, but it's new to me. Just when I thought I'd bought every writing how-to book on the planet, I found a classic at B&N that I'd always heard about but never read.

Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones is so, so good. I'm already implementing her suggestions and techniques into my writing day. The book has a decided Zen/Eastern slant to it, but even if you're not particularly appreciative of all things Zen, the principles contain truths and ideas guaranteed to resonate with even the most unZenlike writer.

Of course, now that I've raved about this book, you may want to take a look at Jennie Hansen's August 5th post, "Fantastic or Boring." What's good to one isn't always good to another.

But trust me. This book is good.

2 comments:

Kirk L. Shaw said...

This one has always looked good to me ever since I read Ray Bradbury's Zen and writing book, but I've never gotten an opinion from someone I've known. Thanks for the recommendation, Nancy.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Kirk, I've really liked it. I also liked Bradbury's book. He's amazing. My all-time fave is probably Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird.