Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How many books do you have?


So I was looking around my library the other day and wondered exactly how many books I have in there. I would post a picture, but it's such a mess that I'll have to clean it up first.

My best estimate is somewhere around 500. I could be low on that guess- I have a whole lotta paperbacks. If it sounds excessive to you, you must understand that it's a disease with me, this whole collecting of the books. I must own what I read, and more often than not I like to keep it when I'm done.

That said, I do plan on going through the shelves someday soon and culling the best from those that need a new home. The first of a new year is always a good time to purge!

So what about it? Do you obsessively collect or are you a good library visitor? Speaking of which, I need to renew my card...

9 comments:

Courtney Price said...

I'm both. I hate my need to buy! Why do I do it? The library is just as good!

Nicole said...

I am the same way. I have even bought books after ihave read them from the library because I need them on my shelves. My dream is a room lined with shelves for all of my friends to sit on.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I agree- the library is just as good! And Nicole, I've done that, too.

Sue said...

My daughter alpabetized them yesterday and counted we have over 400. 381 novels by my favorite authors.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Sue, that's awesome. Maybe I can talk one of my daughters into alphabetizing our shelves. Ha.

Chantele said...

I would love to buy more books! I am a sucker for hardcovers, and own a bookshelf full. If I had to guess with paperbacks and hardcovers, I would say I had about 60. I can only afford to buy one book a month usually. Someday I'll be able to buy more!
As for the library, I am a frequent visitor. If I absolutely love a book I've checked out, I go ahead and write it on my list of books to buy.:) (I actually own your whole Faith of our Fathers series, and someday I WILL get them signed by you!:) There is nothing better than a beautiful book signed by the author!

Karlene said...

I purged over 600 books at my yard sale this past summer. (I'm still going through withdrawals.) I estimate that was about 1/3 of my collection.

Question: Do Kindle books count as ONE since they all fit under one cover? I've got 77 titles there. And a Gift Certificate still to spend...

Kath said...

I wish I could buy every book I read, or at least the really good ones. Since my hubby is in the military we move around a lot and I can't buy as many as I'd like. I still own quite a few though, like the ones that I have to take with me wherever we live (like all yours), and I have a bunch in storage at my in-laws. Thank heavens for libraries!

I posted a picture of my very small library awhile back...

http://bookwormnation.blogspot.com/2009/10/booking-through-thursday_15.html

dhansen said...

Between my wife and I we have over 500 books as well. The good news is that now that our children are growing, we have great literature to pass down to them. It's so much fun to watch them clue in to the knowledge that the shelves (and shelves and shelves) of books are a treasure.

This is the main reason that I will stay in the analog world - sorry Kindle, you just don't hold the same appeal.