Friday, April 15, 2011

Dave Farland is the master of motivation

I'm a subscriber to Dave Farland's "Daily Kick," which are emails filled with all kinds of good writing advice. I came across a good one the other day and it was just what I needed to see. Sometimes it's easy to try and settle, or just play it safe. It can be scary to throw it all out there, to go big or go home. Because really, who wants to go home?

Anyway. Here's the quote:

"Don't think in small terms. Don't say to yourself, 'I just want to write a comfortable little story.' If you want to be comfortable, get a government job, or marry well. Don't try to write for a living."

Which is certainly not to say that there's anything wrong with a government job or marrying well. But if you want to write, really write for a living, you can't be timid. I've learned that myself. Think I just needed a reminder. Thank you, Dave.

3 comments:

Kimberly Krey said...

That IS a great reminder! Thanks for sharing! :)

Ashley Lavering said...

Dave is awesome! I agree. I love to write and want to really push myself to get published, but it is seriously hard work. I understand better now when people say you have got to love it, to have it a passion to be able to succeed. But we can make it. We just have to keep that drive. Mine comes from my beta reads liking something about my novel. Give me a nice high.

Heather B. Moore said...

Love this advice.